True Colorz is your web source for all things YA in the LGBTQ community! Our blog features new releases, featured authors, interviews, and reviews/recommended reading.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Featured Author Stephani Hecht

Stephani Hecht
Stephani Hecht is a happily married mother of two. Born and raised in Michigan, she loves all things about the state, from the frigid winters to the Detroit Red Wings hockey team. Go Wings! You can usually find her snuggled up to her laptop, creating her next book or gorging on caffeine at her favorite coffee shop.

Connect with Stephani Hecht on Twitter @StephaniHecht or visit her website: http://stephanihechtauthor.blogspot.com.

Q&A with Author Stephani Hecht:

  1. If you could swap places with one of your fictional characters for 24 hours, who would you choose to be? Why? What would you do that day?

    Christian--he is in the best place to the most good for the rest to the characters. I would get him to make Taylor and James realize how much they like each other. Then I would make force him to make Jessica to realize just how great she is and that she doesn’t have to always worry just about others, that it’s okay to think of herself at times, too. Then I would give Dalton some big-brother advice. Before I moved on to Andy and told him to slow down and enjoy life more.

  2. Please tell us what inspired you to begin writing Young Adult?

    I had so many younger readers coming up, telling me that they were reading my adult books, that I decided it was time to give them a series of their own to enjoy.

  3. Can you tell readers a little bit about the Haven Coffee House Boys series?

    It’s about a group of lgbt high school friends, who are seniors, on of the cusp of young adult-hood. We get to watch them as they grow up and struggle through every day life.

  4. You deal with some serious issues in the series. Please tell us the importance it was for you to write about these issues that YA LGBTQ teens face?

    I didn’t want to hold back and sugar coat these issues, because this is what these kids face every day. I felt I owed it to them to make these books raw and real.

  5. What would you like young readers to take away from your novels?

    That while there is a lot of crap in the real, there is a lot more hope. That there is a lot of good out there and it always outweighs the good. That the cliché really is true, It Does Get Better.

Now Available from Stephani Hecht:

Sometimes the ones you love can hurt you the most of all.

Devlin is used to others thinking that he’s a jerk. He likes it that way. It makes it so, nobody ever expects too much of him. Only his close friends really know that soft side of him, and, that he’s never exposed enough so he can get hurt. Then Christian, Devlin’s boyfriend, needs him more than ever. Will Devlin be able to let his guard down enough, or will he risk losing Christian forever?

Excerpt from No Tea No Shade:

“I’ll miss you, Devlin,” Andy said in a strained voice.

“I’ll miss your ugly mug, too.”

Devlin was shocked to feel tears building up in his eyes. He quickly blinked them away since he never liked to show any emotions, viewing them as a weakness. It was hard, though, as he was going to be lost without his best friend. Andy helped keep him balanced and everything in perspective. It was going to be hard having to deal with life and all its crap without having Andy by his side.

Andy stepped back. “Make sure to take good care of Christian. Don’t do something stupid and lose him. He’s the best thing that’s ever happened to you. You know that, right?”

Devlin swallowed hard. “Yeah, I do.”

“Don’t be too hard on him. He only wants what’s best for you.”

“I know.”

“And try and get Taylor and James to get their heads out of their asses and realize that they like each other, will you? It got boring watching them stumble around months ago.”

Devlin laughed. “I’ll do my best, but they do seem determined to be stubborn about that one.”

“Watch out for that new kid, Dalton. Make sure he doesn’t get himself killed. He’s actually really likeable once you get past the skinny jeans and Gaga shirts.”

“I’ll try, but we both know what a smartass he is.”

“And for bloody hell, will you tell Jessica I forgive her for forgetting my birthday. Tell her she can make it up to me by buying me something sickeningly expensive when I get back.”

Devlin shoved his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. “Don’t tell her, but I think she has plans of throwing you a party when you get back.”

“That will do just nicely.” Andy looked over his shoulder and let out a sigh. “Well, I guess I kept Monster Dearest waiting long enough, so I better get going before I make her miss her hair appointment or anything.”

Andy turned to leave, but he paused and said one last thing. “Make sure you tell Christian to take care of you, too. I worry about you most of all.”

That took Devlin by surprise. “Why? I can take care of myself. I always have.”

“Yeah, and I always worry that one day you’re going to get tired, and there’s not going to be anybody there to catch you when you fall.”

With those final words, Andy got into the waiting limo and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment